Friday 13 January 2017

101 Organic Gardening Hacks - Book Review

Well I have been either living under a rock or the Americans have been keeping Shawna Coronado away from me; she's huge with 7 thousand + followers on You Tube, almost 3 thousand followers on Instagram and nearly 20 thousand on Twitter. That doesn't even include those who love her blog and have bought her books (yes she has written two).

She describes herself thusly...
"Wellness, garden, & foodie author. TEDx speaker, photographer, blogger, travel adventurer with spinal osteoarthritis & a passion to make a difference."

Pretty impressive already, eh? And then, I get her latest book published by Cool Springs Press (sent to me by Quarto Publishing plc to review) as it launches here in the UK. And yes, I too have fallen for her no nonsense, fun and actually do-able gardening ideas.


So above is the book, please do not be put off by the word 'hack' by the way, her publishers simply say it is a word for 'a great idea that's come to life'. I have been flicking through this over the last week and really getting into over the past two days. It is so photogenic, so cute but most importantly, I found it to be inspiring and a friendly read, with practical ideas that are actually useful and easy to replicate. 

The publishers blurb is so on point...
In 101 Organic Gardening Hacks, you'll find the top tips, tricks and solutions unearthed by Shawna Coronado. Some are practical timesavers; others offer clever ways to 'upcycle' everyday items in your garden. Every hack, however, is completely organic and unfailingly environmentally friendly!

I suggest to take a wee look at the contents page pictured below, it covers everything from the beginners needs to inspiring ideas for the allotment, garden and even unused spaces. There is literally something for everyone and nothing is too expensive. Even those with little room can't get away, there are no excuses :)


As a bibliophile, the feel, text, layout and beauty of this book makes me very happy. It's easily going to fall into a coffee table book by it's looks but honestly don't let that fool you - it's got great ideas. We are certainly going to enjoy using it. Oh, and the cover is wipe-able, which is great as I'm also the muckiest allotmenteer out there.

Of course this book is for the organic grower, which I do strive to be, but the section on pollinator hacks really got me interested as it's maybe one area were we could try harder, especially with the terrible decline in bees these days. Shawna is also an advocate for the no-dig gardening style we have adopted over the past couple of years and seems to be just as in love with composting and manure as we are, haha.

101 Organic Gardening Hacks
Eco- friendly Solutions to
Improve Any Garden

by Shawna Coronado

January 2017
£12.99 | Paperback
Published by Cool Springs Press


If you go to her blog, which I know you will - http://shawnacoronado.com/ you will see those words again 'wellness author' and she truly seems to be. Inspiring in her fight over spinal osteoarthritis, a seemingly great cook and someone who sees the garden area as a place of therapy and joy. Her ideas in up-cycling see a creative desire mixed with growing food and beautiful plants. I find her quite the exciting find, even if I am way behind everyone else.

Stay cosy this weekend
Hugs
Carrie

10 comments:

  1. I will certainly take your advice and visit a new blog - thanks for sharing lovely one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you like it. But please don't forget about little old me, haha x

      Delete
  2. Isn't it fascinating that although we and our American friends think we share a common language so many of our words have such different meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds like an interesting book given your enthusiastic review. Clearly a worthwhile buy, especially as it's a reasonable price as well.
    Thanks, and you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed it is a great price! I truly do like it so much and there's conversion tables at the back if anyone finds American measurements annoying. I'm so glad it arrived on my doorstep :)

      Delete
  4. My friend is just about to start on her first ever allotment project. (Am sharing your blog with her.) I think this is a book she would really get a lot from. Am especially thrilled to see pollinator hacks!Great review, thanks!X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a great book for her! And I'm so *blushing* and happy you thought to share my wee blog with her too. Hugs xx

      Delete
  5. I am so very very honored that you reviewed my book - THANK YOU very much. I am thrilled you like it. ::MANY HUGS AND THANKS::

    Shawna

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x