Sunday 25 January 2015

Saturday - An OK day

Wow, I really didn't think I would get to write a title like that for a heck of a while. However today was indeed, OK :) The depression did not win and the anxiety was under control - maybe it was even BETTER than OK...

** To begin with we slept in late, oh I love my sleep ;) Then we had breakfast, made coffee and started our hour of birdwatching for the RSPB Birdwatch Weekend. This year we really did have a good time which sounds so geeky but I swear it was glorious so see the crazy amount of feathered friends that come to feed in our garden. We had seeds, peanuts and fat balls and all stations were busy.

RSPB birdwatch sheet ~ 'growourown.blogspot.com'


** After that we visited Ballylagan organic farm, farm shop and tea room that (to our surprise) is just up behind Carrickfergus; embarrassingly it's been open since 1999 but we only heard about it earlier this week. Yep, it was the ever knowledgeable Mamma G that pointed us in the right direction. It's fabulous and for purely academic reasons we had to have cake and coffee = thumbs up.

** Then the best bit - we went to the Lottie. It was my first time there this year to actually work and not just to glance round it and go home. I had my lucky favourite socks on, many layers and my farmers' hat (or flat cap, that I bought in the farmers' shop). For only being there an hour, when the sun went down, we managed surprisingly a lot, well I did, Andrew did a lot of chatting to a friend ;) In his defence though he is the head gardener and has been there a few times already this year.

Me on the allotment ~ 'growourown.blogspot.com'

** His other, earlier visits have seen the apples cut back and training started, the autumn raspberries cut down and the whole back of 24a mulched. 14b also has lots of new Blackthorn hedglings planted and a windbreaker all a long the left side. It's becoming annoying to my brain that that plot is spilt in a different way than our other one.
First before and after photo of the year :)
** I focused on the flower bed and got it almost completely weeded and removed a plant of two that weren't happy. More to do tomorrow. In the plans for this season (our 8th year!) is for me to have 2 long thinner cut flower beds and I'm going to learn more about their care and maintenance :) The new plans will soon be drawn out to share with you, you know I love a good plan.

YES - cut flower bed seeds ~ 'growourown.blogspot.com'

Home to a steaming bowl of tomato and chilli soup, a shower and a wee whisky..
hugs,
Carrie
xx

10 comments:

  1. A nice post and lovely pictures. I also have, and wear, a flat cap and have a copy of the not 'new' Flower Expert Book.
    Keep smiling and stay warm. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flighty! I really must say that your constant comments and encouragement ever time I write really helps keep me going. Love you lots. Thanks for being such a great friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did the birdwatch Saturday which was a good job as the birds seemed to have other plans for Sunday. Look forward to seeing plans fir the cut flowers - annuals or perennials?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that was lucky you picked the right day for the birdwatch!
      There will be annuals and perennials in the cut flower areas - it's so exciting :) x

      Delete
  4. I haven't done any work at the allotment yet this year either, just a couple of visits to pick sprouts. Hopefully there will be a dry spell soon and then I can do some much needed work. The organic farm shop and cafe sound good, a nice discovery. Wishing you a good week Carrie. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind about not getting work down yet, somehow it all gets done in time :) Oh that cafe is a new favourite now, I fear much more cake will be eaten in future! Hope you are doing well xxx

      Delete
  5. sounds a good day
    and you certainly look more than OK :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you, I blush! Here's to more ok days for all of us xx

      Delete
  6. Now this sounds like my kind of day!!! Sleeping and eating and doing the garden! A win win all the way around! Can't wait to see your plans! Have a great Wednesday! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it seem fabulous, why can't all days have at least more of the things we love? My plans are going to be drawn up properly very soon, you know I love to get the colouring pencils out and everything :) Have a great rest of the week xx

      Delete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x