Wednesday 24 December 2014

Happy Holidays

I engage in far too much negative thinking during winter. I end up with the darkness and the miserable weather invading my heart and causing it to be such a sorrowful place. It's very difficult to fein joy at this time; my chronic depression doesn't take a break and my acute anxiety goes into overdrive. I rarely go out, preferring to hide within a book and my blanket. Plus I don't really like to see the bare bones of the landscape, the deathly looking trees and the bare soil - it all seems too much like a skeleton, without life or hope there of.

However, Edith Sitwell said "Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home". I love this quote and could not wish you, dear reader, anything more than this sweet feeling of contentment. It is my dream to feel it deep in my soul myself, here at home with my hubby and little Maggie.

Our gifts are wrapped, we have a carol concert to attend this evening and Mamma G is coming to spend Christmas dinner with us - the sloe gin has been an absolute triumph this year and the champagne is chilling in the fridge for 'jingle fizz' cocktails in the morning - hehehe. No matter my mood, we shall have a cosy home full of love and good food, may you have the same xxx


*****
The holiday harvest was taken from the Allotment today...parsnips, leeks, kale (we don't do sprouts!)
Andrew's photo collage :)
If the weather permits I hope to back there at 24a before the year is out! Until then my friends....

A heartfelt thank you to all who commented on my last post, we are healing, slowly x

With love
Carrie

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, and to you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting that you see the winter landscape as a skeleton - bare bones. I see the dormant trees and bare ground sleeping; resting before the big push to come. It is good and in tune with nature to sleep, rest and recoup your energy over winter. Have a peaceful xmas. Lynda xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you both a good Christmas. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for you loss and poor Andrew to lose his sister as such a young age. Too soon, too soon. I think this time of year is hard for us all. It's dark when I get up in the morning and dark when I come home from work and the only time I see my garden is on the weekend and then there's the rain. Take care, snuggle up with Maggie and Andrew and I hope the new year brings you both peace and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shapes of bare trees, It's dank conditions that I hate, Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had a grey wet day, but tomorrow it's back to sunshine in the garden for me.
    Your days are getting longer now, spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the most wonderful quote. I prefer not to go out much, except for going to work, which I now do not have to do!! We are lucky our parents garden is right behind the house, but we did not succeed in growing sprouts or similar this year. I enjoy sitting at home looking into the garden and seeing the brown squirrels stealing food from the birdfeeders. I wish you all the best and lots of warm sunshine in your life in the New Year (and also the rest of this year, obviously:) )

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x